5 Ways to Fix Troubled Laptop Volume – As a device that can replace computer functions, laptops should also be able to be used for entertainment purposes—starting from playing movies, music, playing games, or streaming favorite videos on Youtube. Well, all the entertainment needs must be supported by the optimization of laptop components, especially in the screen and speaker.
Speaking of speakers, have you ever experienced the problem of laptop speakers not making a sound? Maybe your laptop’s volume has never been heard even though it’s in a maximum position, or the music on your computer is absent because the quantity can’t be adjusted?
So, how do I fix the problematic laptop volume? In the following, we will review some ways that you can practice to overcome the problem of laptops that don’t make a sound.
1. Analyze the Problem
The following are the steps for troubleshooting problems with laptops that do not sound:
# Are your laptop’s built-in speakers turned off? How to check:
- Press the combination button to activate the speaker. Each type of laptop has its combination button to enable the speaker. Adjust the computer used.
- Press the combination button to increase the laptop speaker volume. If you use an application that has its volume control, check the size, and raise it.
# Try checking the volume control. How:
- Click Start> Programs> Accessories> Entertainment
- Click the volume control and increase.
# If there are external speakers, make sure they are correctly connected and that the volume is turned up.
- If the speaker has a mute button, make sure it is off.
- If the speakers use batteries, make sure they are installed correctly and adequately.
# If you previously connected headphones or audio cables to the laptop audio jackholes, disconnect the cable.
After checking the hardware earlier, here is how to check via software. There are two methods you can do, namely:
# Through the “Device Manager”
- Click Start> right click on My Computer> choose Properties
- In the System Properties window, select Device Manager
- In the Device Manager window, double click on “Sound, Video and Game controllers” and check if there is a sound driver name there.
- If there is a question mark or exclamation mark icon, it indicates that the speaker driver on your laptop is damaged, and you have to install the sound driver again.
- Right-click on the name of the audio device (or unknown device) in Device Manager and select Properties.
- Next will appear a window of the speaker driver used on the laptop, or rather the “Audio Properties” window. Make sure the “Device Usage” is in the “Use this device (enable)” option.
- Then select the Properties tab and open the “Audio Devices” section.
- Next, you can see the details of the current driver and start the “Update Driver” or “Roll Back Driver” wizard. The “Roll Back Driver” feature will be useful if you have previously updated the audio driver, and the sound on the speaker becomes gone after that. This feature will restore the speaker driver based on a copy of the driver stored by Windows.
- You can also do a “Driver Update” to repair damaged drivers. To do this, click the “Update Driver” button and follow the next steps.
# Through “Sound and Audio Device Properties”
- Click Start> Control Panel
- On the Control Panel page, click “Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices” or just click “Sounds and Audio Devices” for the classic Control Panel look.
- On the “Sounds and Audio Devices Properties” page, click the “Audio” tab and look in the “Sound Playback” section. Select the sound device that is still in good condition. If so, click, OK.
- If the sound on the speaker is still missing, most likely, the cause is damage to the hardware of the music on your laptop.
2. Replacing the laptop sound card
A sound issued by your computer through specific applications, in terms of its physical management by hardware called a soundcard. Well, this soundcard receives instructions from the processor to issue a sound with certain sounds based on specific bit codes. In other words, this device is tasked to convert digital data input into output in the form of music that will be released through the speaker. When this component is damaged, of course, the music issued by the speaker will not be there.
Therefore, you inevitably have to replace it with a new one. Repairing a laptop sound card can also be a solution to overcome the headset not detected on your laptop. The location and type of soundcard for each computer is different, depending on the brand and model of laptop used. So you have to identify what kind of sound card your computer has. Don’t forget. You also have to install the driver. If you don’t have the driver CD, you can apply the driver-free installation method that we reviewed on this site.
3. Replacing laptop speakers
Speaker is a component whose duty is to make a sound after being processed by the sound card. If your laptop does not make a sound, it could be the cause is damage to the speaker. After you confirm the damage to the laptop speakers, the next step is to replace the speakers if they have problems.
4. Install the sound card driver
How to improve the volume of the laptop next to have a relationship with the software. It could be, the problem with your laptop speaker volume also comes from the sound card driver that does not match or your laptop is not even installed sound card driver at all. As a result, of course, the sound card on the computer is not able to process the sound data that comes from the application you are running.
Make sure the sound card driver that your laptop has is appropriately installed, correctly, and following the embedded sound card. If you do not install it correctly, or maybe install the wrong driver, then your laptop’s sound card will not function normally. So your computer can’t make a sound at all. Make sure you install drivers that match the bits of your laptop’s OS. If you don’t know the bits of your computer OS, you can find out by watching our article about how to find laptop bits on this site.
5. Install the appropriate kernel
If you use the Linux operating system on your laptop, whatever distro you use, then one of the things that can be the cause of your computer not making noise is because the kernel you are using does not match the installed operating system. Or it could be that there are specific bugs in the core. Therefore, the thing you need to do is to install the right Linux kernel.
You can choose the right kernel by downloading a variety of grains that are compatible with the Linux distribution that you use in various online repositories. Alternatively, you can use an application called Ukuu-GTK to manage the kernel installed in the Linux operating system that you are using.