How to Activate WiFi on Laptops and Computers – Almost all types of laptops that are currently equipped with WiFi adapters. With a WiFi network, we can surf the internet without the need for cables or modems. We can also share the WiFi connection using the WiFi hotspot application for laptops.
WiFi found on the laptop does not have to be active all the time. When not in use, we can turn it off so that it can save battery usage. When we need it again, then we can turn on the WiFi back.
For those of you who are still confused about how to turn it on, this time, Caris Signal will review how to activate WiFi on laptops and computers. There are several ways you can try depending on the device and brand of laptop that you are using, whether it’s Asus, Acer, Toshiba Neon, HP, Lenovo, Dell, Toshiba, and others. Here are the steps:
Using the WiFi Button
The first way is the easiest way to activate WiFi. Some types of laptops provide a select button to turn on and turn off WiFi. This button Is Usually Located above or next to the keyboard, depending on the computer you are using.
To activate it, all you have to do is press the button. The button is usually also equipped with an indicator light that will light up when WiFi is active. Meanwhile, to turn it off, you also just press the button again until the light turns off.
Using the FN Button
If your laptop Is Not Equipped with a select button for WiFi, then the second way is most likely you can use it. Yes, almost all laptops have prepared a unique function key to activate WiFi. The function keys are in the form of F1 to F12 codes and are located above the numeric keys.
First of all, please look for first which function button has the WiFi symbol on it. For example, if the WiFi icon is on the F10 key, then you only need to activate it by pressing the Fn and F10 keys simultaneously.
Sometimes above the function button, there are indicator lights that indicate that WiFi is on, and some are not. Now to turn it off, you also only need to press the Fn and F10 keys again simultaneously.
In addition to pressing these two buttons, there is also a laptop that can be turned on by directly touching the WiFi logo button for a few seconds without the need to press together with the Fn key. Please try which of these two methods works best for your laptop.
Through Windows Mobility Center
If the two ways above cannot Be Implemented on your laptop, then you can try this third method. This method can also Be used if you have a computer that has Been installed with a wireless card. Here are the steps:
- For Windows 7, click the Start button on the left Taskbar then select the Control Panel option.
- While for Windows 8, swipe the cursor to the right corner of the screen, select the Settings option, then select Control Panel.
- After entering the Control Panel, select the “Adjust commonly used mobility settings” option under the “Hardware and Sound” category.
- Next will appear a window that contains various icons such as volume, display, and others. Now, in the WiFi section, please click the “Turn wireless on” button.
- Please see the Taskbar on the right. If there is a wireless logo means your WiFi connection is on.
Activate WiFi on Windows 8
Laptops with the Windows operating system might already have settings to turn off and turn on their WiFi, so you might not have turned it on from this setting. Following are the steps to access it:
- Swipe the cursor to the right of the screen until the charms bar appears, then select Settings.
- Select the “Change PC Settings” option, then select “Network.”
- If the “Airplane Mode” section is on, please turn off first because WiFi cannot be turned on when Airplane Mode is On.
- In the “Wireless Device” section, please turn on the “WiFi” option.
Activate WiFi on Windows 10
Just like Windows 8, the Windows 10 operating system also has its WiFi settings that are quite easy to access. Now for those of you whose laptops are already using Windows 10, please follow the following steps:
- Click the network icon in the Taskbar (usually in the form of a WiFi signal logo).
- If Airplane Mode is on, please turn it off first by clicking on the Airplane Mode icon.
- Turn on WiFi by clicking on the WiFi icon.
Activate the WiFi Adapter
If, by the way above, the WiFi connection is not yet on, you can try to activate WiFi on the following laptops and computers. This method can be applied to networks with Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10. operating systems. Here are the steps:
- Open the Start Menu and select Control Panel.
- Open the “Network and Internet” category then select the “Networking and Sharing Center” option.
- In the menu in the left column, select the “Change adapter settings” option.
- Look for the wireless icon you are using, right-click, then select the “Enable” option.
- Now your WiFi connection can be used.
Install Wireless Driver
If the various ways above can not activate WiFi, then most likely, the driver of the wireless adapter has not been installed. To install it, you only need to enter the DVD Driver, which is usually provided in the laptop sales package or the network adapter sales package.
If there isn’t, you can download the driver on the laptop vendor’s website or wireless adapter. Besides, you can also try to find it automatically with the help of Windows. How:
- Open the Start Menu and select Control Panel.
- Select the “Hardware and Sound” category.
- Select the “Device Manager” option under the “Devices and Printers” category
- Look for the wireless adapter that you are using, right-click, then select the “Update driver software” option
- In the window that appears, select the option “Search automatically …”
- Wait a few moments until Windows finds it and installs it on your computer.
That is a variety of ways to activate WiFi on a PC or laptop that uses the operating system Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10. Please try one by one, which is suitable for your computer. If you have other methods that we haven’t reviewed here, please share them with other readers through the comments column below.
If, after trying various methods to activate WiFi on the laptop and computer above it still doesn’t work, then you might have to take it to the nearest repair shop. Various possibilities can occur, so that must be carried out further checks by computer technicians.